The Onion - ‘Man Injured Protecting Wife From Polar Bear’

In an article titled, “ Man Injured Protecting Wife From Polar Bear”, The Onion mocks the “knight in shining armor” narrative.The title itself clues the reader in on its satirical nature by centering the focus on the perspective of the man — “Man Injured Protecting …”.

To summarize the situation: “A man has sustained serious injuries after rescuing his wife who was ambushed by a polar bear in an early morning attack, leaping on to the animal to prevent an attack after the woman slipped to the ground.”

The first layer of satire is achieved through the use of hyperbole. Let’s see, 200lb man vs 1000lb polar bear? I wonder who would win. Obviously, The Onion employed some serious exaggeration to reveal how overly glamorized male heroism is portrayed in the media.

The satire in this piece is further deepened by the mock comments. These are given by people with entirely fictional occupations like “Kale Lobbyist” and “Bleach Bottler”. The falseness contributes to the sarcastic tone by immediately erasing any sense of ethos.

Last comes the content of these “expert testimonials”, which all make jabs at society’s cultural expectations. The first one reads “Only an *bleep* would interrupt a stranger’s meal like that” uses absurd humor as it prioritizes the polar bear’s needs in this scenario. It’s a critique on how blame is often misplaced and the victim incorrectly labeled in the media. The second one, “Him getting injured must have been such a turn-off” similarly redirects, focusing on the man being injured over the man protecting. Furthermore, it mocks the common male stereotype about unwavering physical strength. The third, “God forbid a woman gets to sustain her own serious injuries” has a sardonic and sarcastic tone. It criticizes the expected gender roles (distressed damsel, meet shining knight) and challenges the idea that men should always be the ‘protectors’.

Comments

  1. I liked how you incorporated a wealth of quotes into your blog and focused on which specific stereotypes/societal values that Onion article was attacking. The mockery of both extremes on genders roles, especially on interaction with danger/times of need, was humorous and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anusha! I loved reading through your post, especially with the voice that you incorporated through your analysis. I agree with your analysis on social norms, and I liked how you looked at male and female stereotypes. This was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anusha! This post was so entertaining! I think you did a really good job of interpreting the purpose of the article. By quoting the article, you provide necessary context that makes your point easy to understand. Overall, nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi anusha!! i loved how you included a lot of quotes in your blog! I think you did a great job analyzing the article. I liked how you also added your own voice and opinions on the article. great job! - iniya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suburban Takes #2

Music as Archetypes

Big Yikes for the Millennials