Big Yikes for the Millennials

 

MAN these headlines are just absolutely brutal. 

Welcome (back) to Suburban Takes #4! keeping it short and sweet this week: 

Millennials made Gen-Z jokes unfunny


Unfortunately for anyone born between 1981 and 1997, the term for their generation has become almost synonymous with "cringe". Millennials have been mocked relentlessly for their unfunny humor and lingo by Gen Z-ers (1997-2012), and (sorry Mrs. Liamini) I am here to do just the same.

Exhibit A: 6-7 jokes

While I can't say definitively that these were ever really funny to begin with, I can for sure say that the millennials pretty much ruined this one by taking it out of context. The most incriminating evidence of all was when our counselors collectively decided to include a 6-7 joke in each of their college presentations to every classroom at the start of the year. I'm sure they thought they would be relating to us and we'd all suddenly become best buds but gosh they couldn't have been more wrong. The only thing they succeeded was further highlighting the divide between our generations and solidifying their corniness in our eyes. 

There is some sound reasoning behind this generational gap in humor between millennials and gen Z though. A generation's humor is shaped by the media created in that era. The 90's were distinctively defined by laugh-track filled sitcoms while the 2010-2020s were notable for the rise of social media and, consequently, brainrot. One isn't funnier than the other, rather, the opposing styles of media have created contrasting online personas, such that gen Zers are ready to fight back with borderline hurtful wit in comment sections and millennials stick to their tried and true dad jokes time and time again. 

You thought there was going to be an exhibit B? That's funny. Sorry, I couldn't think of one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suburban Takes #2

Music as Archetypes