Satirical Night Live - "A Sketch for the Women"
Satirical Night Live
1. From popular magazines and newspapers, collect ads that reflect stereotypes about the roles of men and women ... write a report that discusses what the ads show about American values, beliefs, and attitudes toward gender roles.
Inspired by the Totino’s SNL skit we watched in class, I was curious to see if there had been other skits made about gender roles. There were many, and I picked this one titled “A Sketch for the Women” which features Scarlett Johansson and Aidy Bryant with a script written by Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney. Johansson introduces the skit by saying, “Now we haven’t read it yet, but they told us it features the entire female cast, and it includes important conversations about women’s issues.” You’ll soon understand why this opening statement was highly ironic.
Mooney, “Ace”, talks about seeing a woman being harassed on the way here. He continues, saying “It just made me realize how hard it must be to be a woman.” Bennett and Mooney go back and forth, discussing how women are harassed online, paid less than men, and portrayed in the media, and repeating "It really just makes me [Mooney] so upset to think about!”.
The irony here is that they’re claiming to be so concerned for women’s welfare, but they’re having this entire conversation without asking for input of the two women sitting right at their table. Throughout the skit, Johansson and Bryant repeatedly chime in in unison, “Thank you for saying that.”. The men then casually sit back and throw out a flippant, “You’re welcome.”.
The use of satire doesn’t stop there. At one point, Ace mansplains microaggressions: “There’s also so many small things that women have to put up with everyday that we don’t even realize. They’re called microaggressions. "He immediately follows this up by, “I mean look at this table. Probably every single one of these girls has a story [about microaggressions] to tell”. While humorous in this skit, the truth of how women are often dismissed by being referred to as “girls” in professional settings cuts through.
“A Sketch for the Women” turned out to be not for the women at all – instead it served to show how inconsiderate men dominate and to expose “faux-feminism” in society.
(They ended this skit by inviting Lorde on stage, only to butt in, cover her up, and begin singing before she could get a single lyric in).
Hi! I really enjoyed your topic and the way you analyzed the irony by highlighting how the male characters acted concerned while simultaneously dismissing the women at the table. Great job!
ReplyDeleteAnusha, I love how you analyzed many details of this skit! I think this particular skit did a great job of showing the difference between trying to seem educated and actually taking action. I wonder what issues other skits highlight regarding gender roles.
ReplyDeleteHi Anusha! Firstly, I like your word play on SNL in the title. I also like your analysis of the skit and its irony, which does a good job of highlighting social issues in a lighthearted way! Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi! I loved how you analyzed the irony within this sketch which highlights a larger problem within our society --- many of the problems about gender happen without equal represenation at the table. Great work! Lauren
ReplyDeleteI love your analysis of the details present in the skit! You did a really good job in picking up the irony of the men feigning concern as they dismiss the women!
ReplyDeleteI thought that this was a really cool take on what we learned this week, especially through irony and societal context. I have also never heard of this SNL sketch, but after checking out this one, I actually found it even more engaging.
ReplyDelete