I love my mom

I love my mom    

Our discussion about the ways parents show their children love led me to take a closer look at everything my parents have provided for me. I came across an Instagram reel a while ago that really struck home.  

  

     My dad is very much a “plate of cut fruit in place of an apology” person but my mother has always been incredibly open and vulnerable with her emotions. She never hesitates to say “I love you” to me. I wanted to find out how much of this could be due to the unique mother-child bond. 

     Science says pregnancy is an accumulation of hormones. So many factors have to come together at the exact right time: ovulation, fertilization, implantation. Not to mention the nine-month journey that a single cell zygote must go through, turning into a blastocyst, morula, embryo, and finally a fetus. In the womb and during labor and delivery, there are an infinite number of things that could go tragically wrong. But then there are the times when everything perfectly lines up and miraculously, a beautiful baby is born.  

    As it turns out, those long nine months and plethora of hormones do compound. A hormone called oxytocin is released in large amounts during labor. The role of this hormone is to stimulate uterine contractions as well as attachment-related thoughts. Oxytocin helps build a strong emotional connection with the child. It fosters trust, attachment, and ignites maternal instincts. The bond created at the time of birth lasts forever. It’s that intangible bond that reveals itself in all the acts of love my mom displays, from making my meals to continuously driving me places, and from lending me her clothes to giving me her everlasting support. Thank you mom.  

Comments

  1. Hi Anusha! I loved your blog! It definitely made me have a greater appreciation for my mom. I really liked how you included some of the biological processes of pregnancy/fertilization/growth. I also really liked how you didn't explicitly talk about "The Best We Could Do", but talking about motherhood and pregnancy directly relates to the book so you allowed the audience to make the connections on their own. Nice job Anusha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you looked into the biological processes connected to pregnancy and motherhood! It's really interesting, and since "The Best We Could Do" uses the motif of the birth/life cycle so pervasively, I think it's important for us to understand how complex it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anusha, I liked your blog and how you tied the science of motherhood and oxytocin to the everyday ways your mom shows love. It captures the nuanced ways parental love is shown through both quiet and consistent acts of care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your voice gives a sense of relatability among this topic, especially the "plate of fruit" reference. I also thought the science of behind the life cycle was an interesting way to tie this back to the parent experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anusha! I really loved how you tied biology into your post. I thought it was a very clever way to capture the bond between you and your mom. I also liked the inclusion of the reel you saw.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suburban Takes #2

Music as Archetypes

Big Yikes for the Millennials