The Great British Bake Off -- Gatsby Edition

 

 


Narration: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Great American Baking spin-off Show! Presenting this year’s talented home bakers: Jay Gatsby, Tom Buchanan, Daisy Buchanan, and Myrtle Wilson! Joining us as judges are Jordan Baker and Nick Carraway.” 

*Contestants and judges politely wave at camera* 

Judge Nick Carraway: “Bakers, today you will have one hour to bake and present a signature dish. We are looking for a dessert that will impress us with your personality. At the end of this round, only one of you will be crowned America’s best amateur home baker.” 

Jordan: “Bakers, are you ready?” 

Nick and Jordan together: “On your marks...”  

“Get set...” 

“Bake

*Gatsby, Wilson, and the Buchanans furiously begin working* 

Nick: “Tensions are high in the tent today. Let’s take a look into what our bakers are up to today. Good morning Mr. Gatsby, what have you decided to create for us today?” 

Gatsby: “Hello old sport. I’m making a rich, dark chocolate castle, paying homage to my own mansion in the West Egg. This beautiful, decadent dessert will be airbrushed in gold. It will be shiny, glamorous, and everything I ever dreamed of. Wait, can you cut out the last part?! 

        Nick: “Oh. Well. That’s certainly an interesting concept. I’m looking forward to seeing if your dessert has any real substance. If the inside tastes good as the outside looks, if you get what I mean.” 

        Jordan Baker: “Now let’s take a look at the other competition. Mr. Buchanan, what will be your signature dessert?” 


  

        Tom: “One thing is for sure, my cake is going to be better than Gatsby’s. I’m making a showstopping red velvet cake with blood red decorations. This is a family recipe that was passed down from my forefathers, so I will be representing my wealthy East Egg heritage. 

 

        Jordan: “What was the reasoning behind all the blood red influence?” 

         Tom: “It’s just a color I’m used to seeing.” 

        Jordan: “And with that disturbing note, let’s take a look at what Mrs. Buchanan has for us.” 


        Daisy: “Hi Jordan! Please, call me Daisy Fay instead. I’m making simple flower-shaped mini lemon tarts. These will be decorated with fluffy, sweet frosting on the outside and include a zingy lemon compote in the center.” 

Nick: “That sounds lovely, Daisy. Lastly, let’s head over to Myrtle’s bench. What are you making today Mrs. Wilson?” 

Myrtle: “Hello Mr. Carraway. So my philosophy is always bigger is better. I’ll be making my dream wedding cake that I always wished George could have provided me. I guess I just have to look elsewhere...  

Nick: “Wow, that’s quite the bold statement and it sounds like an ambitious design.” 

Daisy: “Those are all our contestants today. Follow along with our next episode to see who the last one standing will be. I’ve got a gut feeling it won’t be Gatsby or Myrtle though.” 

Comments

  1. I really like how you took all the different characters and put them into "The Great British Bake-off" and the use of dialogue was very natural. Another thing I thought was neat was the fact that you assigned each character a different cake based on what they do in the book and what they represent about society overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aanusha!! Don’t think that no one noticed the reaction you gave Nick to Gatsby's cake :0 (I love it) Also, I really liked how you characterized Tom with the color red, that was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suburban Takes #2

Music as Archetypes

Big Yikes for the Millennials