Flora & Fauna

 Flora & Fauna 

Analyzing The Great Gatsby makes me understand that each line is full of symbolism. When we compared Daisy’s name to her character – the white clothing and her wealthy, gold center – it made me curious about other famous characters named after flowers in literature.  

Katniss - Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Truthfully, I had no clue that Katniss was also a plant until I began researching this weekend. Unsurprisingly though, there are a few connections between Katniss the plant and Katniss Everdeen. For example, the Katniss plants have arrow-shaped leaves. Katniss the character is known for her deft use of the bow and arrow as her chosen weapon. In addition, the Katniss plant thrives in ponds and marshy areas – not dissimilar to District 12 where Katniss Everdeen grew up in.   

            Violet – A Series of Unfortunate Events: A childhood favorite of mine growing up, the book series ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ by Lemony Snicket also features a main character named after a flower. Violet Baudelaire is the eldest of the four siblings and she is the engineer of the group. Violet's character can be described as intelligent, brave, and responsible. But how does this relate to her namesake flower? A superficial search shows that violets (the flower) have been used to signify modesty and humility. Furthermore, they can represent innocence. Violets have been featured in many works of literature throughout history. During the Victorian Age, violets symbolized ever-lasting love, loyalty, and dependability. All these traits hold true for Violet Baudelaire. As the children are all orphaned, Violet steps into the role of mother and she raises her siblings with love and compassion.   

 

Comments

  1. Anusha, great job with your post. I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid, and you did a great job with your analysis of Violet. I never thought of how the meaning of her name could be connected to her personality. Thank you for providing some new insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anusha, I really liked your post! I loved how you found other characters who have plants or flowers as their name. Same as you, I never knew that Katniss was a plant. If you told me that Katniss's skill with a bow was connected to the flower that her name was taken from, I wouldn't believe you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suburban Takes #2

Music as Archetypes

Big Yikes for the Millennials