Famous Fables
Famous Fables
This week, I was introduced to the difference between fables, parables, and euphemisms through David Foster Wallace’s speech, “This is Water”. Walace opens the speech with a wise old fish posing a question to two younger, passing by fish. This met the requirements of a fable as it included talking animals, and later conveyed a moral. The fable served as a good introduction because it hooked the audience immediately and had them thinking throughout the piece. Wallace’s fable spurred me into my own research into various fables and how they’re relevant today.
The story, “The Crab and His Mother” goes as follows: a mother crab says to her son, “Why do you walk sideways? You should walk straight.” and the son responds, “Show me how to and I’ll follow your example.”. Of course, the mother couldn’t walk straight either being a crab, and realized the error in her ways. This fable goes to show how we are not in a place to judge others when we ourselves cannot uphold a good example.
The Two Rats story starts with a rat coming across a piece of cheese encased in a rat trap. The first rat deceives his friend rat by lying and saying he doesn’t want the cheese. The younger, gullible rat jumps at the chance to have the cheese and as a result he gets trapped. This fable teaches us to make our own choices and not listen to everything that others say. Our friends may not have our best interests at heart and may be more than ready to hurt you. It’s important to maintain your own sense of self and recognize the decisions you need to make.
Hi Anusha! I really enjoyed reading your blog, I loved how you showed how much fables can teach us in our world today. I also really like how you took something small that was mentioned in class and expanded on it. In my class I noticed that most people didn't know the difference between fable and parable, so I really enjoyed reading and learning more about fables.
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post! I hadn't heard of either of these stories before, but they're so charming (and I love the illustrations you found). I also definitely didn't know the difference between a parable and a fable before this week.
ReplyDeleteHey Anusha! I really like your blog! Personally, I've never thought about fables all that much until this week, which made your blog more interesting to read as I learned more about fables. I also liked the fables that you chose in particular because their messages can teach us so much about our world today.
ReplyDelete